Djokovic, Del Potro To Miss Coupe Rogers In Montreal
The Coupe Rogers in Montreal will be without two of the game’s biggest stars as both Novak Djokovic and Juan Martin del Potro announced on Thursday that they will miss the ATP Masters 1000 event, which begins 4 August.
Djokovic, a four-time Coupe Rogers champion, needs more time to recover after winning his fifth Wimbledon title on 14 July. The World No. 1 beat Roger Federer 7-6(5), 1-6, 7-6(4), 4-6, 13-12(3) in the first fifth-set tie-break in Wimbledon singles history.
The Serbian saved two match points against Federer, becoming the first player to save match points in the Wimbledon final and win in 71 years.
More On Djokovic
Q2 Review: Djokovic, Federer, Nadal Tighten Grip On Top
Djokovic Matches Federer On Big Titles Leaderboard
Djokovic Passes Nadal In Battle For Year-End No. 1
“I’m sorry to announce that I decided to pull out of Coupe Rogers. With the support of my team, I have decided to give my body longer rest and recovery time before coming back again to play,” Djokovic said.
“I love Canada and I have many friends there that always make me feel like I’m at home, and I’m looking forward to coming back again to play in front of all of you in Montreal.”
Djokovic has won the event, which alternates between Montreal and Toronto, twice in both city: Montreal in 2007 and 2011, and Toronto in 2012 and 2016. He fell in the third round last year to #NextGenATP Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas, who made his maiden ATP Masters 1000 final in Toronto (l. to Nadal).
Del Potro is continuing his rehab from a fractured right kneecap that he suffered on 19 June during his second-round match at the Fever-Tree Championships in London. The Argentine, No. 12 in the ATP Rankings, underwent surgery on 22 June.
More On Delpo
Del Potro To Undergo Surgery
Argentine Completes Surgery
Del Potro Begins Rehab
“We would have loved for Djokovic to have the chance to be crowned champion for a third time in Montreal, but we understand his decision and we wish him a quick return for the rest of the season,” said Eugene Lapierre, Tournament Director of the Coupe Rogers in Montreal.
“In Del Potro’s case, we wish him a speedy recovery, he who has experienced his share of injuries in the past few years. We look forward to seeing him back on court in the near future.”
Defending champion Rafael Nadal, the all-time Masters 1000 titles leader (34), will be the top seed. Frenchman Richard Gasquet and Mikhail Kukushkin will fill the two available spots in the main draw.