Tennis News

From around the world

Murray, Nadal & Djokovic back Pique's tennis 'World Cup'

  • Posted: May 12, 2017

Andy Murray, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic have backed footballer Gerard Pique’s plans for a tennis ‘World Cup’ which could rival the Davis Cup.

Barcelona’s Pique reportedly met ATP officials this week to discuss a 16-team knockout competition played in one venue over 10 days.

World number one Murray said: “If it comes off, I think it would be a very, very good thing for tennis.”

The current Davis Cup format is played over four weekends throughout the year.

Murray, Nadal and Djokovic have all led their nations to Davis Cup glory but have also opted out of playing in the tournament in order to focus on Grand Slam preparations.

Nadal, a 14-time Grand Slam winner, has backed fellow Spaniard Pique’s plans and has criticised the International Tennis Federation (ITF) for the Davis Cup schedule.

He said: “For many years they have been static. They haven’t moved with the times or looked for new solutions.

“Pique is part of a group that wants to create a World Cup that would be a great and very interesting tournament to compete in.”

The ITF has told the BBC: “Our focus is not on what other bodies are trying to do, but in successfully delivering Davis Cup as the world cup of tennis to millions of fans in over 120 nations each year.

“A number of significant changes to the competition’s structure, prize money and format will be voted on by all tennis nations at the ITF AGM in August.”

The BBC has also contacted the ATP for a response.

World number two Djokovic has warned Pique of the “complex” structure of the sport’s governing bodies, but added: “To see one of the football greats coming to the tennis world and trying to support it personally, but also in some structural business way, can only bring positives to our sport.”

Later this year the first Laver Cup tournament will also be contested, a Ryder Cup-style competition which will pit a European team featuring Roger Federer and Nadal against a rest of the world side.

The Laver Cup will be played in Prague from September 22-24.

Source link

Djokovic gets walkover into Madrid semis after Nishikori withdrawal

  • Posted: May 12, 2017

World number two Novak Djokovic is into the semi-finals of the Madrid Open after his quarter-final opponent Kei Nishikori withdrew with a wrist injury.

Japan’s world number eight missed last month’s Barcelona Open with the injury and faces a race to be fit for the French Open starting on 22 May.

Defending champion Djokovic will play the winner of Rafael Nadal and David Goffin in Saturday’s last four.

It is the Serb’s first semi-final since he won the Qatar Open in January.

Source link

Djokovic v Nishikori, Nadal v Goffin Friday In Madrid

  • Posted: May 12, 2017

Djokovic v Nishikori, Nadal v Goffin Friday In Madrid

Top half surprises join Djokovic, Nadal in quarter-finals

View FedEx ATP Head2Head for the quarter-final match-ups Friday at the Mutua Madrid Open & vote for who you think will win! 
Djokovic v Nishikori | Nadal v Goffin | Thiem v Coric | Zverev v Cuevas

Borna Coric, Pablo Cuevas, Dominic Thiem and Alexander Zverev have never reached the semi-finals of an ATP Masters 1000 event. Two will do so on Friday, one of whom will advance all the way to the final of the Mutua Madrid Open. The unlikely foursome isn’t entirely a surprise. Coric, Cuevas, Thiem and Zverev have each won a clay-court title on the ATP World Tour this season. 

Coric earned the biggest win of his career over World No. 1 Andy Murray 23 minutes after Zverev upset No. 11 seed Tomas Berdych on Thursday, making them the first #NextGenATP duo to reach the quarter-finals of an ATP Masters 1000 event. Nick Kyrgios, who aged out this season, is the only #NextGenATP player to appear in an ATP Masters 1000 semi-final, doing so at 2016 Miami.

Coric lost to World No. 80 Mikhail Kukushkin in qualifying on Sunday before replacing Richard Gasquet in the main draw. The lucky loser meets No. 8 seed Thiem in a rematch from Miami on March 25, when the Croat saved three set points in the second set to win 6-1, 7-5. Thiem is 0-4 in ATP Masters 1000 quarter-finals, though all four losses came against players ranked in the Top 6.

You May Also Like: My Masters 1000: Pablo Cuevas

Zverev encounters Cuevas for the first time on tour. The unseeded Uruguayan is into his third ATP Masters 1000 quarter-final of the season after failing to advance this far in his first 28 appearances at this level. Cuevas held two match points against Pablo Carreno Busta at Indian Wells and was two points from defeating Lucas Pouille at Monte-Carlo before losing both of those quarter-finals.

Four-time champion Rafael Nadal and two-time champion Novak Djokovic could meet in the semi-finals, but first they must each defeat a Top 10 opponent on Friday. Djokovic opens play at 12 pm against No. 6 seed Kei Nishikori. Since stunning Djokovic in the 2014 US Open semi-finals, Nishikori has lost his last 10 meetings with the Serbian, including in the 2016 Madrid semi-finals.

Nadal faces No. 9 seed David Goffin for just the second time, having beaten the Belgian 6-3, 6-1 in the Monte-Carlo semi-finals on April 22. Nadal (31) and Goffin (27) lead all players in tour-level victories this season. The fourth-seeded Spaniard is 12-0 on clay in 2017 and could become the first player to sweep the Barcelona, Roland Garros and three clay-court ATP Masters 1000 titles.

2017 CLAY-COURT TITLES FOR MADRID QUARTER-FINALISTS
Borna Coric                        Marrakech
Pablo Cuevas                     Sao Paulo
Rafael Nadal                      ATP Masters 1000 Monte-Carlo, Barcelona
Dominic Thiem                  Rio de Janeiro
Alexander Zverev              Munich

View Friday schedule

Watch Live

Source link

Lopez/Lopez Advance To QFs In Madrid

  • Posted: May 12, 2017

Lopez/Lopez Advance To QFs In Madrid

Spaniards will next face top seeds Kontinen/Peers

Eighth seeds Feliciano Lopez and Marc Lopez set a clash with the top-seeded doubles team in the Mutua Madrid Open quarter-finals. The Spaniards defeated Tommy Haas and Max Mirnyi 6-3, 6-4 on Thursday to reach the last eight, where they will face Henri Kontinen and John Peers.

Ivan Dodig and Marcel Granollers, the seventh seeds, saved seven of the eight break points they faced to beat Fabio Fognini and Treat Huey 6-7(4), 7-5, 10-6. Next for the Croatian/Spanish tandem will be fourth seeds Lukasz Kubot and Marcelo Melo.

Also in Friday’s quarter-finals, third seeds Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares will take on sixth seeds Nicolas Mahut and Edouard Roger-Vasselin, and second seeds Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan will play Nick Kyrgios and Jack Sock.

 Watch Live On TennisTV

 Watch Full Match Replays

Source link

Murray: "I Need To Be Concerned"

  • Posted: May 12, 2017

Murray: "I Need To Be Concerned"

World No. 1 unhappy with early exit in Madrid

Andy Murray has been forgiving of himself this clay-court season as he returns from a right elbow injury, but didn’t hold back about his third-round performance against Borna Coric on Thursday at the Mutua Madrid Open.

The World No. 1 hit 28 unforced errors in two sets and allowed the #NextGenATP Croatian to dominate the match. Having won Madrid in 2015 and finished runner-up last year, the Brit knows his current form is below the level required to produce big runs at ATP World Tour Masters 1000 level events.

“I definitely think I need to be concerned about today. It’s not always the worst thing losing a match, but it’s sometimes the manner of how you lose the match that can be concerning or disappointing,” said Murray. “I was disappointed to lose my match against Thiem in Barcelona, but felt like I competed really well and did some good stuff in the match. Today, I didn’t really do any of that. That’s concerning. So I need to think about exactly why that is, what I can do about it.”

“Most things weren’t working particularly well. When I started to go behind, I didn’t find any way to improve my game or to make it more difficult for him. I just let the same things keep happening, making mistakes very early in a lot of the rallies. I wasn’t building any points,” he added. “That was disappointing because you’re not always going to play your best tennis, but you can still find ways to make it difficult for your opponent. I didn’t do that at all today.”

You May Also Like: Nadal Handily Passes Kyrgios Challenge

Murray has expressed frustration about his serve over the past month. The shot that played an essential role in his dominance throughout the second half of 2016 has admittedly let him down this spring. But while his practice court time was limited while recovering from the elbow injury, he believes his game should have progressed further by now.

“I think it was normal in Barcelona and Monte-Carlo that I wasn’t going to serve as well as I would normally because I was still getting better. But I was able to practice everything else. I was able to do everything physically. That’s no reason for how I played today and the past few weeks,” said Murray. “However, when you do miss a period of time, the most important thing is to play. I didn’t for a month. That set me back a little bit.”

Murray is well aware he has piles of Emirates ATP Rankings points to defend for the rest of the year. In the next month, he defends points from winning Madrid and finishing runner-up at Roland Garros last year. Although he admitted he won’t be able to match those high standards unless his game improves, the World No. 1 is optimistic his game can quickly round into form. 

“Borna lost in the qualifying here a few days ago. Now he’s in the quarters playing very good tennis. Things can change fast,” said Murray. “But you need to have the correct ideas and understand why you’re in the position you’re in. Hopefully I can do that with my team, and play better in Rome and Roland Garros.”

Source link

Andy Murray: Madrid Open exit concerns world number one

  • Posted: May 11, 2017

World number one Andy Murray said he is ‘concerned’ following defeat by Borna Coric in last 16 of the Madrid Open, but denied being low on confidence.

Murray was beaten 6-3 6-3 by Coric, ranked 59th in the world, on Thursday.

The Briton has endured a tough season on clay, suffering a shock defeat in the last 16 of the Monte Carlo Masters last month and also losing in the semi-finals of the Barcelona Open.

“I definitely think I need to be concerned about today,” Murray said.

“It’s not always the worst thing losing a match, but it’s sometimes the manner of how you lose the match which can be concerning or disappointing.”

Coric, 20, only gained a place at the tournament after Richard Gasquet withdrew – becoming the first lucky loser to reach the quarter-finals in the Madrid tournament’s 16-year history.

The Croat broke his Scottish opponent three times in the opening set, and a further break in the second was enough to secure victory in one hour and 25 minutes.

Top seed Murray hit 14 winners to his 28 unforced errors, but insisted his poor performance was not down to a lack of confidence.

“I was just making lots of mistakes early in the rallies and trying to end points very quickly at the beginning, and the errors just kept piling up.” the 29-year-old told BBC Sport.

“I didn’t feel that was down to confidence – I just wasn’t focusing as well as I needed to on each point.

“I made a lot of unforced errors and I also didn’t find any way to make it a more competitive match, so that’s the most disappointing thing for me.

“You can lose matches sometimes, but the manner of today’s loss was disappointing.”

Analysis

BBC tennis correspondent Russell Fuller:

This result will come as a shock to Murray’s system.

He had seemingly been growing in confidence, and rediscovering his rhythm little by little as he made his way from Monte Carlo to Barcelona, but now has just one week in Rome to find the form and belief which would make him a genuine contender for the French Open.

His first serve, which has been hindered by an elbow injury, was not to blame against Coric, who played aggressively and fluently and took full advantage of Murray’s error-strewn performance.

Source link

Thiem Saves 5 M.P. To Edge Dimitrov In Madrid

  • Posted: May 11, 2017

Thiem Saves 5 M.P. To Edge Dimitrov In Madrid

Austrian to face Coric in the quarter-finals

Eighth seed Dominic Thiem went the distance in his third-round match Thursday at the Mutua Madrid Open, saving five match points in a thrilling 4-6, 6-4, 7-6(9) victory over No. 12 seed Grigor Dimitrov.

“I think it was a very good match from both of us,” said Thiem, who improved to a 2-1 record against the Bulgarian in the FedEx ATP Head2Head series. “The tie-break in the third set was amazing. It was 4-3 for him and I played two very good points. He made two unbelievable rallies. The tie-break is always a little bit [of] luck, but I think it was a good match for both of us. That’s the bad thing about tennis, only one guy can win.”

The Austrian rallied from 2-4 in the final set and 3/6 in the tie-break, also saving match points at 6/7 and 8/9 before converting on his second match point to advance in two hours and 34 minutes. Thiem had forced a decisive set after fighting from 1-3 down in the second, starting his comeback by winning four straight games against Dimitrov.

 Watch Live On TennisTV

 Watch Full Match Replays

“I don’t always play good in the important points, but today yes,” he said. “I saved five match points. I don’t know if I ever saved that many match points in one match, so it’s a really good feeling.

“Tie-breaker is always 50/50. I would say it’s a little bit lucky. But in the third set I showed really good mentality. I was a break down earlier in the set and I came back good. I’m really happy I won a tie-breaker [match] because last one I lost against [Stan] Wawrinka in Indian Wells and now it was luckily my turn.”

With his victory, Thiem moves ahead of Wawrinka to No. 3 in the Emirates ATP Race To London, trailing just Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal in the leaderboard. The 23 year old will be looking to qualify for the ATP Finals for a second straight year.  

You May Also Like: #NextGenATP Coric Shocks World No. 1 Murray

Thiem also advances to his second ATP World Tour Masters 1000 quarter-final of the season, following his run earlier this year in Indian Wells, and will be looking to reach the semi-finals for the first time at this elite level. He advanced to the clay-court final two weeks ago at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell, where he upset World No. 1 Andy Murray before falling to Nadal. 

He next faces #NextGenATP’s Borna Coric, who scored his own upset win over Murray earlier Thursday. Coric, a lucky loser this week in Madrid, defeated Thiem in their previous meeting earlier this year at the Miami Open presented by Itau.

Watch Live

Source link

Zverev Beats Berdych For Madrid QF Berth

  • Posted: May 11, 2017

Zverev Beats Berdych For Madrid QF Berth

Cuevas to play third Masters 1000 quarter-final of year

#NextGenATP German Alexander Zverev booked a place in only his second ATP World Tour Masters 1000 quarter-final on Thursday when he overcame 2012 finalist Tomas Berdych at the Mutua Madrid Open.

The 20-year-old Zverev left No. 11 seed Berdych on 698 match wins after a 6-4, 6-4 victory in 75 minutes. He will next challenge Pablo Cuevas for the first time on Friday.

“Obviously today was a great match,” admitted Zverev. “But also the days before I played very well, against Marin [Cilic] yesterday and against Fernando [Verdasco] in the first round. I’m happy to be in the quarter-finals here.

“I didn’t have a lot of time to recover. I went to bed at about 3 a.m. because the [Cilic] match was done after midnight… That was a difficult thing, but I’m happy with the way I performed. Apart from maybe two games at 4-1 when I was up in the second set, everything else was very positive.”

Zverev converted his fourth break point opportunity for a 2-1 lead in the 40-minute opener. From 5-4, he then played with great poise to win five of the next six games to take a 4-1 advantage in the second set. Berdych recovered to 4-4, but dropped his serve to 30 with his only double fault of the match – much to his frustration. Zverev calmly closed out to love to improve to a 21-8 mark on 2017.

You May Also Like: #NextGenATP Coric Shocks World No. 1 Murray

Zverev, who leads the Emirates ATP Race To Milan for a spot at the 21-and-under Next Gen ATP Finals from 7-11 November, also reached the quarter-finals of this year’s Miami Open presented by Itau (l. to Kyrgios). He has already won two ATP World Tour titles this season at the Open Sud de France (d. Gasquet) and at last week’s BMW Open by FWU (d. Pella).

Uruguayan Cuevas advanced to his third ATP World Tour Masters 1000 quarter-final of 2017 (also BNP Paribas Open and Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters) with a 7-5, 0-6, 6-1 victory over Benoit Paire, who beat World No. 2 Stan Wawrinka on Wednesday. It was Cuevas’ first victory over Paire in their fourth meeting.

 Watch Live On TennisTV

 Watch Full Match Replays

Source link