Tennis News

From around the world

Fils working with ‘hell of a champion’ Ivanisevic

  • Posted: Feb 18, 2026

Arthur Fils is taking advice from a man with plenty of big-stage experience in his bid to bounce back from an injury-plagued 2025 season.

The 21-year-old Frenchman confirmed on Wednesday that he is working with former No. 2 and 2001 Wimbledon champion Goran Ivanisevic. Fils, who was speaking after his 6-1, 7-6(7) second-round victory against Quentin Halys at the Qatar ExxonMobil Open in Doha, was full of praise for a man who also coached Novak Djokovic from 2018 to 2024.

“Hell of a champion, winner of a Slam, and he coached a lot of guys, a lot of champions actually,” Fils told ATP Media. “He’s helping me during the season. We are going to try [it out], but I think it’s good for me. It’s maybe the best for me to have his experience as a coach and as a player. So very, very happy that he joined us during this long journey.”

After hitting his career high of No. 14 in the PIF ATP Rankings in April last year, Fils sustained a stress fracture in his back at Roland Garros in late May. He competed at just one more event, the National Bank Open Presented by Rogers in Toronto in early August, for the rest of the year.

Yet after returning to action at the ATP 250 in Montpellier earlier this month, he is now into his second quarter-final of 2026 in Doha. Alongside Ivanisevic, he will on Thursday attempt to navigate a way past Jiri Lehecka to reach the semi-finals at the hard-cout ATP 500.

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Source link

Sinner holds off Popyrin to push ATP 500 streak into Doha QFs

  • Posted: Feb 18, 2026

Jannik Sinner’s debut run at the Qatar ExxonMobil Open gathered pace on Wednesday when the Italian secured a composed 6-3, 7-5 victory over Alexei Popyrin.

The second seed had to work hard during his 85-minute triumph, but absorbed a barrage of big serves and blistering winners to reach the quarter-finals at the Qatari ATP 500. Sinner also extended his streak to 50 consecutive wins against players outside the Top 50 in the PIF ATP Rankings — a run stretching back to his loss to Dusan Lajovic in Cincinnati in 2023.

“I respect every player, but I always try to play my best tennis,” Sinner said when told of his streak against Top 50 players. “The ranking, at the end of the day, is just a number. Everyone is playing [with] high quality. Especially when the opponents don’t have much to lose, you always have to stay very focused.”

Popyrin, who claimed his first tour-level victory since the US Open in August by defeating wild card Mubarak Shannan Zayid in the opening round, showed no signs of a man lacking confidence. Although he fired 16 total winners and thrilled the crowd in a tightly contested set, Sinner kept his composure to advance on debut in Doha.

“I feel like I started off very well in the first set, not so many problems with my service games,” said Sinner, who did not face a break point, according to Infosys ATP Stats. “But after I struggled a bit. I felt like he raised his level and I lost a bit of rhythm and confidence. I just tried to dig deep… I’m very happy. You have to find different ways to win matches.”

Sinner is competing in his first tournament since his painful five-set semi-final defeat to Novak Djokovic at the Australian Open and is targeting a third straight ATP 500 title after lifting trophies in Beijing and Vienna in October. A championship-match clash against World No. 1 Carlos Alcaraz is a possibility, which will be the 17th chapter of their rapidly developing rivalry.

[NO 1 CLUB]

Before then, however, the Italian must negotiate a last-eight meeting with sixth seed and 2024 finalist Jakub Mensik, who advanced with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Zhang Zhizhen. The 20-year-old continues his upward surge after winning the Brisbane title in January, climbing three spots to No. 13 in the PIF ATP Live Rankings — surpassing his previous career high of No. 16.

Elsewhere in Sinner’s section of the draw are Jiri Lehecka and Arthur Fils, who both advanced on Wednesday to set a quarter-final meeting in Doha. Lehecka, who last year beat Alcaraz en route to the semi-finals, eased past Zizou Bergs 6-2, 6-1, while Fils prevailed 6-1, 7-6(7) over countryman Quentin Halys.

Fils has recently begun working with 2001 Wimbledon champion Goran Ivanisevic, the former coach of the likes of Marin Cilic, Djokovic and Stefanos Tsitsipas. Competing in just his third event since returning from an eight-month back injury, Fils is currently tied 1-1 with Jiri Lehecka in their Lexus ATP Head2Head series.

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Source link

Will Alcaraz, Sinner or Rublev catch the Doha title?

  • Posted: Feb 18, 2026

Who will cast their line for Doha glory this week?

Carlos Alcaraz, Jannik Sinner and Andrey Rublev are among those competing at the Qatar ExxonMobil Open, where the superstars swapped their racquets for fishing rods ahead of the ATP 500 tournament. Daniil Medvedev, who fell to Stefanos Tsitsipas in the second round, was also part of the fishing fun on Sunday.

<img alt=”Carlos Alcaraz fishing in Doha Sunday.” style=”width:100%;” src=”/-/media/images/news/2026/02/17/19/30/alcaraz-doha-2026-fishing.jpg” />

The lighthearted outing made waves on social media, with fans enjoying everything from Sinner’s catch of the day to clips of the four rivals sharing laughs.

Alcaraz and Sinner are both vying for their first Doha crown. The Italian is making his first appearance while Alcaraz is competing in Qatar for the second consecutive year.

<img alt=”Jannik Sinner fishing in Doha Sunday.” style=”width:100%;” src=”/-/media/images/news/2026/02/17/19/26/sinner-doha-2026-fishing.jpg” />

Alcaraz recently won the Australian Open to complete the Career Grand Slam and extend his lead over Sinner in the battle for World No. 1 in the PIF ATP Rankings. Should Alcaraz and Sinner meet in the Doha final, it would mark their first clash in 2026 and 17th Lexus ATP Head2Head meeting overall.

Rublev is the defending champion in Doha, having also triumphed in 2020. He is seeded to meet Alcaraz in the semi-finals.

<img alt=”Carlos Alcaraz, Daniil Medvedev, Andrey Rublev and Jannik Sinner take a selfie on a fishing boat Sunday in Doha.” style=”width:100%;” src=”/-/media/images/news/2026/02/17/19/30/alcaraz-medvedev-rublev-sinner-doha-2026-fishing-selfie.jpg” />
All photo credits belong to @qatartennis

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Source link

Ruud, new father, returns ‘to win matches and see if I can play for more than myself’

  • Posted: Feb 18, 2026

Casper Ruud won’t have to look far for extra motivation as he begins his debut campaign at the Delray Beach Open this week.

Just weeks after he and his fiancée Maria welcomed the birth of their first child, a daughter, the Norwegian arrives in Florida carrying more than racquets and expectations. He brings with him the life-altering joy of new fatherhood and, ahead of his opening match against Marcos Giron at the ATP 250 hard-court event, Ruud reflected to the media on the emotional whirlwind that has reshaped his world.

“It was an incredibly emotional moment,” Ruud said. “I think for anyone who has become a parent, it’s an incredible feeling and hard to explain with words.

“I’m excited for the future. This is just the beginning of 20 to 25 years of taking care of her. It’s fun and exciting, I will try to use it as motivation and try to remember that you’ve travelled this far and being away from her, you might as well try your best and play some good tennis while you’re at it.”

Ruud had already gathered momentum this season by reaching the fourth round of the Australian Open before he returned home to Norway, where he announced his daughter’s arrival at the end of January. Now, the challenge shifts from balancing backhands to balancing life on Tour with life as a new father.

The early-season hard-court swing will test that balance. Delray Beach marks the first stop in a stretch that also includes the ATP 500 in Acapulco and ATP Masters 1000 events in Indian Wells and Miami.

For Ruud, the former No. 2 player in the PIF ATP Rankings, the miles may feel longer than before.

“It will be a tough trip, because it won’t be that easy for them to come over here and I will miss them and at times feel homesick,” Ruud said. “I’ll do my best and see if I can end the hard-court swing, for a while, on a good note before we head back to Europe and start the clay season.

“That will be the goal for these couple of weeks and months coming up, [starting] here, then Acapulco, Indian Wells and Miami: To win some matches and see if I can play for more than myself.”

[NO 1 CLUB]

Ruud begins that run in a strong Delray Beach field that features two-time champion Taylor Fritz and reigning Next Gen ATP Finals titlist Learner Tien.

First up for the second-seeded Ruud is Giron on Wednesday, with their Lexus ATP Head2Head series locked at 2-2. While much has changed in his personal life, he is confident his tennis foundations remain intact.

“My forehand still feels pretty similar to before, and my backhand as well,” Ruud joked. “I haven’t got an overuse of my arm yet. I haven’t carried her too much yet!”

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Source link

Hometown hero Fonseca earns first win of the season in Rio de Janeiro

  • Posted: Feb 18, 2026

There is no place quite like home to find some rhythm again.

Following an injury setback and a series of early exits, hometown hero Joao Fonseca earned his first win of the season Tuesday at the Rio Open presented by Claro by defeating countryman Thiago Monteiro 7-6(1), 6-1 in the opening round.

“It’s just amazing having my first victory of the year [here] after a tough few months,” Fonseca said. “It’s just super special, so I’m very happy.”

In his maiden Lexus ATP Head2Head meeting against Monteiro, Fonseca delivered a dominant serving display. He fired seven aces, including two in a clutch opening set tie-break, and won 84 per cent (36/43) of his first-serve points, according to Infosys ATP Stats. Buoyed by a boisterous home crowd, the 19-year-old claimed the win in one hour and 24 minutes, during which he did not face a break point. He will face Ignacio Buse in the next round.

[NO 1 CLUB]

In other opening-round action, Matteo Berrettini held firm to defeat lucky loser Tomas Barrios Vera 7-6(1), 7-5. The match featured only one break of serve when Berrettini broke Barrios Vera in the final game to seal his two-hour, 25-minute win against the Chilean.

Tomas Martin Etcheverry and top seed Francisco Cerundolo both advanced to the second round by winning an all-Argentine clash. Etcheverry defeated Francisco Comesana 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 and Cerundolo cruised past Mariano Navone 6-3, 6-4. His younger brother, Juan Manuel Cerundolo, upset second seed Luciano Darderi 6-1, 3-6, 6-4. The victory came just two days after Francisco defeated Darderi in the Buenos Aires final.

Watch Cerundolo vs. Navone highlights:

Other winners on Tuesday included Roman Andres Burruchaga and lucky loser Francesco Passaro. Burruchaga defeated fifth seed Camilo Ugo Carabelli 6-3, 6-4 and Passaro beat Dino Prizmic 6-3, 6-4.

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Source link

#NextGenATP Jodar sets Fritz showdown in Delray Beach

  • Posted: Feb 18, 2026

#NextGenATP star Rafael Jodar is rising, and quickly.

The 19-year-old Spaniard cruised past 21-year-old American Ethan Quinn 6-2, 6-3 on Tuesday to reach the second round of the Delray Beach Open, setting a showdown with top seed Taylor Fritz.

One year ago, Jodar was outside the Top 900 of the PIF ATP Rankings and playing college tennis at the University of Virginia. But he is up to No. 112 in the PIF ATP Live Rankings and rapidly approaching the world’s Top 100.

Jodar, who competed in last year’s Next Gen ATP Finals, entered the Delray Beach draw thanks to the ATP Next Gen Accelerator, which provides increased opportunities for players aged 20 and under. Now he will face a Top-10 opponent for the first time when he challenges Fritz, a finalist last week in Dallas.

To earn the opportunity, Jodar converted six of the 10 break points he earned, according to Infosys ATP Stats. The Spaniard won 16 of his 20 second-serve return points (80%) against the 2023 NCAA singles champion.

In one of the matches of the day, seventh seed Brandon Nakashima clawed past former World No. 3 Marin Cilic 7-6(4), 7-6(5) in a gruelling two hours and 13 minutes. The American leveled their Lexus ATP Head2Head series at 1-1 behind 13 aces. Neither player lost serve.

“Very pleased. It’s definitely not an easy match, especially him coming off a semi-final run in Dallas. He’s a very dangerous player on any given day, so I knew I had to bring my best game and definitely served really well,” Nakashima said. “Exciting time. I always love, first of all, being back in the U.S., and of course playing on the hard courts, so I’m looking forward to this stretch.”

[ATP APP]

Defending champion Miomir Kecmanovic also moved on with a 6-1, 6-4 triumph against Mattia Bellucci, while lucky loser Adam Walton eliminated big-serving Canadian Gabriel Diallo 7-6(4), 6-3.

There were two all-American clashes Tuesday in Florida. Sebastian Korda beat wild card Mackenzie McDonald 6-4, 7-5 and qualifier Zachary Svajda surged past Aleksandar Kovacevic 7-6(4), 6-3.

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Source link

Fonseca plots Phoenix Challenger repeat; Hurkacz headlines Cap Cana entry list

  • Posted: Feb 18, 2026

Brazilian teen Joao Fonseca is eyeing a return to next month’s ATP Challenger 175 event in Phoenix, Arizona, where he is the defending champion. The 19-year-old is entered in the Arizona Tennis Classic, which is held during the second week of the ATP Masters 1000 event in Indian Wells.

Players who exit early from the BNP Paribas Open could appear in Phoenix or at the Challenger 175 event in Cap Cana, often leading to stacked fields at both events. Former World No. 6 Hubert Hurkacz is entered in the Cap Cana Challenger.

Fonseca is joined the Phoenix field, subject to change, by six other Top 50 players. Frenchman Arthur Rinderknech, the No. 30 player in the PIF ATP Rankings, is the highest-ranked player on the entry list. Corentin Moutet, Alex Michelsen, Zizou Bergs, two-time champion Nuno Borges and Adrian Mannarino are also entered.

Six Americans are entered in Phoenix, including Michelsen, Marcos Giron, Eliot Spizzirri, Reilly Opelka, Ethan Quinn and Emilio Nava.

The Cap Cana Challenger, which made its debut last March, could feature Hurkacz, 2023 Next Gen ATP Finals presented by PIF champion Hamad Medjedovic and defending titlist Aleksandar Kovacevic, among others. Argentine Tomas Martin Etcheverry, World No. 51, is the highest-ranked player entered in the Republica Dominicana Open, Copa Cap Cana Ciudad Destino.

Both the Phoenix and Cap Cana Challengers run from 10-15 March. 

 

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Source link